First conceal carry

Guns, holsters, features, reliability, etc. Anything handgun related.
Wrangler
First conceal carry

Post by Wrangler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Howdy folks, well I finally signe up for a CHL class. Now I have to pick my first CCW. I currently own several pistols. I have a set of Colt SAAs in 357 I use for Cowboy Action shooting, a Springfield Loaded 1911, a Ruger 22/45, and a Smith and Wesson model 10.

I am leaning towards a light weight 1911, like the Colt Defender or Sig C3 but would like to hear ither reccomendations.

Trekker Outdoors

Re: First conceal carry

Post by Trekker Outdoors » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 pm

The Defender is a really good choice if you are already accustomed to carrying a 1911. I conceal carry my Colt Commander occasionally and I really like it.

Jer

Post by Jer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm

The ideas behind the type/brand of CCW is as long as every volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica ever printed laid end-to-end.

So, I may be giving you less information here than you want - but it is what ==I== feel you need.

Carry what you know.
Practice with with you carry.
Capacity matters.

When you go to the range to practice - use your CCW in the same configuration it's in when you carry it. If you have an in the waist holster - practice the draw from that. Wear the same clothes. The only thing that should be different about you is your hearing protection.

Muscle memory and training with your CCW are, in my opinion, more important than the actual kind of CCW you choose. That being said, take another look at my 3 items above.... especially the "Capacity matters"

When you draw and fire - the probability of missing is extremely high. And chances are, you'll miss more than once. Your heart is racing, adrenaline is surging and your hands are shaking and you are either breathing rapidly or not breathing at all - all of which will affect your aim. So, as many rounds that you can get into your CCW, the better off you are.

Also, my advice to you on the kinds of ammo you should carry in your CCW is to contact the DA's office in your area. Some people will tell you to only ever carry hollowpoints as the chances of over penetration and injury to a by-stander are reduced. Other people will say to use ball ammo, as a prosecutor will tear you a new ass-hole because hollowpoints are "designed to kill" and are illegal by the Geneva conventions...yadda yadda yadda. YMMV - but my suggestion is to talk to the DA and get their recommendation for past case history in your area. BUT IF YOU USE BALL AMMO - don't use +P or hot loads - and you can still reduce the over penetration.

my 2 cents.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
--John F. Kennedy

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler » Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Well after a to of research and shopping around I ended up getting an XDs 45. Took her to the range today and I am in love!

Blackthorn-USA

Post by Blackthorn-USA » Wed May 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Sounds like a solid choice. Get any pics of her range trip?
Image ..... Image

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler » Wed May 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Only got one picture so far. More to come after I get some Talon Grips installed.

Blackthorn-USA

Post by Blackthorn-USA » Thu May 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Very nice! Looks like it will conceal easily as well.
Image ..... Image