Ammunition Storage

General discussion of topics not listed below.
Trekker Outdoors
Ammunition Storage

Post by Trekker Outdoors » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:49 am

I'm interested in seeing how other members of this forum keep ammo for long-term storage. I currently store most of my handgun and shotgun ammo in the original box inside a steel Army ammo can. I know that I could pack a lot more rounds in the ammo can if I get rid of the cardboard boxes, but I keep them for one reason - barter. Ammo in the original box is generally worth more than loose ammo. Any thoughts?

Blackthorn-USA

Re: Ammunition Storage

Post by Blackthorn-USA » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:58 am

Way more stored in magazines than I'd ever actually carry, but they're ready to go when needed. Alot stored in strippers, in bandoleers with a speed loader. Pistol ammo generally in original bulk pack boxes on the bench for soon use and in ammo cans for longer term storage. .22 ammo pretty much the same storage methods.

The ammo cans are more for portability than protection. 90% of my ammo is stored in climate controlled locations so I don't worry much about moisture etc. For long term I'd think an ammo can would be fine. Maybe toss in a sila gel or something for moisture, but I've shot sealed ammo from the 50's with no problems.
Image ..... Image

Trekker Outdoors

Post by Trekker Outdoors » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:27 am

Strippers and bandoleers with speedloaders are certainly the way to go with 5.56mm ammo. I agree with portability - this isn't the Alamo, all that ammo has to come with you. Or maybe divide up your stash into what is going with you to bugout and limit that to just a few calibers. In my case, I'm only taking 22LR, 9MM, 40 S&W, 5.56mm, and 12 ga with me 'cause those are the guns that are coming with me.

Hoss93WW

Post by Hoss93WW » Mon May 25, 2015 6:26 pm

I often remove the tray from the factory box, cut off the box end flap and then vacuum pack them together before placing in storage. A chamber-type vacuum sealer was one of the best purchases I ever made.