Streamlight Seige

Packs, tents, fire starters, water filters, etc. Discuss your kit here.
makings06
Streamlight Seige

Post by makings06 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm

So I have been in search for a quality LED lantern since my "Modern Survival" class at Blackthorn in December. I bought a pretty cheap Cabela's LED lantern and was less than impressed. I searched hard for a few days afterward, but suspended my search a few days afterward because nothing seemed to jump out at me. While reading my newest OffGrid Magazine (see my post in Books, Music, and Art), I saw an advertisement for one of these. Thought I would see if anyone has seen or heard of one of these?

Its a Streamlight "The Siege" Lantern. Here is the info from the website:
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/produc ... ml?pid=287

The Siege®

COMPACT, ALKALINE HAND LANTERN

Rugged, cordless, alkaline battery-powered lantern provides 360° of soft, even light that illuminates a large area.

Multiple modes:
White LED (four C4® LEDs) with cover removed:
High for brightest light; 340 lumens; runs 30 hours
Medium for bright light and longer run times; 175 lumens; runs 70 hours
Low provides extended run times for when less light is needed; 33 lumens; runs 295 hours
Red LED (one red LED)
Red LED High - Steady (night vision preserving mode); 10 lumens; runs 235 hours
Flash SOS mode for emergency signaling; 10 lumens; runs 430 hours
Night vision preserving mode extends run time for emergency preparedness
Polycarbonate glare-reducing cover provides soft, even 360° light distribution; comfortable to use in close quarters without impairing vision; cover is removable to illuminate large areas
Stand it upright or to use as an overhead light or hang it with D-ring on base of lantern
Incorporated D-rings on top and bottom of lantern - hang in either inverted or upright positions. They are spring-loaded to stow against the light, out of the way when not in use
Ergonomic handle designed to lock in upright or stowed position; incorporated hook allows for hanging on horizontal rope, cables and pipes
Uses three "D" cell alkaline batteries (sold separately)
Keyed battery door facilitates battery replacement in the dark
Recessed power button prevents accidental actuation; features battery level indicator
Battery level indicator changes from green, to yellow, to red, then to flashing red when batteries reach the end of their useable life
Durable, polymer construction with rubber molded base that provides stability on slippery or uneven surfaces
IPX7 waterproof to 1m submersion; it floats; 2m impact resistance tested
It floats so you can retrieve it if you drop it in the water
7.25 in. (18.41 cm); 1 lb. 15 oz (878.83 grams) with batteries
Available in Coyote
RoHS compliant

If no one has seen or tried this, I will write a review once I have had a chance to order and moderately use mine. Take care!
BTW price is $37 on Amazon

Blackthorn-USA

Re: Streamlight Seige

Post by Blackthorn-USA » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 pm

I've not tried those myself but they look like well built little lights. I'll be interested in your review. I'd like them better if they were 3 or 4 AA batteries instead of 3 "D" cells though. That and 3 spare batteries adds up to some weight.
Image ..... Image

makings06

Re: Streamlight Siege

Post by makings06 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:40 pm

Well I got my Siege in and have had some time to play around with it. I am actually pretty impressed!

First off, it is smaller and more compact than what I was expecting. It is about the size of those single serving bullet blenders. You can tell this thing was made for rugged use. It is made out of some robust plastic with thick rubber on the edges. The light is SUPER bright on high, and just bright enough to see on the lowest setting! It does a great job of throwing light in all directions. It is very handy having durable D rings on the top and bottom. The handle can be locked in place, and has a unique shape to better accept more places to hang it from.

I solved the D battery issue. Since my solar battery charger only charges AA and AAA batteries, I got on Amazon and ordered some adapters that makes an AA battery fit into a D battery slot. They are available here:
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-SEC-DSPAC ... tery+to+aa

I'm not if there is a significant run-time sacrifice by doing that or not. When I get the time, I plan to run an experiment with the rechargeable batteries in the adapters on the highest setting to see if it still stays lit for as long as they say in the Amazon item description. It definitely cuts down on weight and space.

My favorite feature is the Night Vision saving red light. The brightness level seems to be about perfect. To enter the red light mode, you simply press and hold the power button. Once it is in the red light mode, the only way to turn it back to white light is to again press and hold on the power button. This is handy if you wake up in the middle of the night and press the power button, it will immediately turn on red instead of going through all the white light modes and ruining your night vision. I'm ready to go camping and really put this thing to the test!

Overall, I think it is a little overpriced, but what you get is a lantern that was designed to be a simple, rugged lantern that will last! Not to mention, it is waterproof, and it floats! Great design. I think its worth it.