Yo Yo Reel Fishing

Bow and Arrow, Atlatl, Spears, Weirs, Snares, Deadfalls, etc.
Blackthorn-USA
Yo Yo Reel Fishing

Post by Blackthorn-USA » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Over Memorial Day weekend I had the chance to use a Yo Yo Reel. For those who are unfamiliar with these little gadgets, they are lightweight little spring wound reels. You can tie them off to a tree or something, drop the line in the water after putting tension on the reel and wait for a fish to bite. Once you get a bite the reel will set the hook and the tension will keep reeling the fish in every time he tries to swim away tiring him out. You just have to come around and check for fish occasionally.

Anyone have experience with these? What fishing methods do you use in the wild?

Image ..... Image

Hoss93WW

Re: Yo Yo Reel Fishing

Post by Hoss93WW » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I would often go out with a college buddy to run his yo-yos. We'd hang approx. 50 along rivers in central Louisiana using a seriously antique jonboat. What worked best was to tie hooks directly to 12" of 12-20# mono and attach the leader to the yo-yo snap swivel using a closed swivel. The reduced visibility compared to the cord wound on the spools seemed to make a big difference. There was a product either the same or similar to Remington's DryLube that kept them functioning well and didn't drip into the water. We also only tied to green (living) limbs. I'm surprised yo-yos aren't standard equipment in every prepared person's kit(s).
Add some tin foil, a little dry rub, some white coals....